Pulled Jackfruit Tacos
Serves 6 people / Cooking time: 45 minutes
Pulled Jackfruit Tacos, life doesn't get much better than this🤤
Here's my favourite recipe I have been tweaking and adjusting for a few years to find the ultimate pulled jackfruit taco.
18 soft white tortilla wraps
4 tbsp olive oil
1 medium red onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 heaped tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
Pinch of chilli flakes
1 tsp ground coriander
1 pinch ground cinnamon
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 x 565 g / 20 oz tins young (green) jackfruit in water
4 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp maple syrup
¼ tsp black pepper
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
4-5 tbsp water
- Fry off the onions on a low heat for 5-6 minutes in the olive oil until they are translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add the dry spices and chilli flakes and fry for a further minute.
- Add the tomato paste and fry for a further minute.
- Add the drained tins of jackfruit, together with the soy sauce and maple syrup. Season with black pepper.
- Bring up the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring every few minutes, and adding a few tablespoonfuls of water every time the mixture starts to dry.
- Use two forks to pull apart the jackfruit into pulled jackfruit.
- Serve on soft white vegan tortillas with the following toppings: tomato salsa, homemade vegan slaw, vegan cheese, guacamole, freshly squeezed lime (see below).
Tomato salsa: Mix 3 finely chopped tomatoes with 1/2 finely chopped red onion, a squeeze of lime, 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper & sugar to taste.
Vegan slaw: Mix half a finely chopped red cabbage with 1 freshly squeezed lime, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 5 tablespoons vegan mayo, salt & pepper to taste.
Guacamole: Mash up 3 avocados with the back of a fork with 3 freshly squeezed limes and salt.